School-based and community interventions have been shown to improve mental and physical health and educational and social outcomes. School Resource Officers (SROs) are key individuals within the school setting that frequently interact with students who are struggling with mental health challenges. This 3-day, evidence-based, interactive training will be geared toward SROs and focus on trauma-informed approaches to addressing student mental health, safety, and wellness.
As a result of this training, we expect the following measurable impacts:
- Improved SRO awareness of child development and common mental health challenges among students
- Increased knowledge of how mental health challenges impacts student academic performance, peer relationships, and behaviors in the school setting
- Reduced stigma around mental health
- Increased skills to address mental health challenges among students, including de-escalation techniques and resiliency building strategies
- Improved knowledge of community resources available